While Jen was home she took over my feeding duties. This is "Baby". Her momma died. Grass tetany was the diagnosis and the veterinary treated her. Unfortunately a few days later she died. We feed Baby two quarts of milk replacer morning and evening. The only way Baby could be adopted is another cow's baby would die. We did have a cow with a dead calf last week, but she nearly killed DH and I getting her in the barn to try an adoption for Baby. We decided it was easier to feed Baby until a more friendly applicant becomes available.
She is such a sweetie. She comes running to the fence for her bottle. We keep a couple old cows and their calves in the pen with her, so she has company.
Good to the last drop!
Calving is starting to wind down. We have about 20 left to calve. We spent last week farming too. The wheat and oats are planted. Corn planting will start next week. It will be time to work cattle soon too. It has been cooler than usual. I haven't even started to think of planting anything in the garden. The grass has really grown just the last few days.
Every day I'm thinking about my Raggedy Annie & Friends quilt. As soon as time permits this will be my next project to complete. I have all the squares embroidered. I have a feeling it may be June before I get to it. My main problem is the mess I have in my sewing area again. I need to regroup and clean up. I need to be willing to give up my napping for cleaning and sewing.
The Quilter's Corner in Faulkton has moved to a larger building. They are having a special event on Thursday night. I'm crossing my fingers that I can get away to attend. This is an awesome LQS and I'm so excited for them to have a larger space and more opportunities for quilting fun.




Hello Janet,
ReplyDeleteI hope you get to your meeting on Thursday. I would give up a hour of cleaning for a hour of sewing any day. Happy days.
Bev.xoxo
Great post, Janet. Baby is so cute. I have never bottle fed a calf, but I have bottle fed many goat kids. It is so much fun. I have been wanting to get back to my Raggedy Annie and Friends too. I have all the embroidery done and the first 6 blocks sewn together into strips. I really want to finish this one. Glad the weather is getting warmer there. It was 99* here today. I think I am ready for fall already. LOL
ReplyDeleteBaby is adorable. Your life seems extremely busy and I don't know how you manage to find any time to get some sewing in.
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet calf! Your post made me smile!...thanks.
ReplyDeleteWe currently have a 'baby' too. They are so sweet. We weren't sure whether ours would make it, but he is now a tail-wagging, milk-guzzling rascal. Hope you make it to the quilt shop event. I know how that goes. Grin.
ReplyDeleteWow, you really have been busy. And I do know about messy sewing rooms. It seems I amm always pushing things around on every working surface just so I can do something else.
ReplyDeleteBaby is just precious! I can't even imagine how much work it is to have all those little one's to care for. Ya'll are amazing!
ReplyDeletexx, shell